Under the direct supervision of the Chief of Mission in South Africa and in close coordination with the head of the implementation unit in the regional office the National Project Support Officer, Media and Communications will head the Media and Communications and will be responsible for the coordination and implementation of a country communications activities at IOM’s office in Pretoria, South Africa and support the project Partnership on Health and Mobility in East and Southern Africa (PHAMESA) in the regional office.
Responsibilities and Accountabilities
For Internal & External Communication Strategy
- Establish and maintain regular contact with the South African media to provide visibility for IOM activities and programmes
- Drafting, editing and submitting for publication of articles on IOM South Africa activities and project updates for monthly eNewsletter, IOM brochures, the web‐site etc., ensuring such information is widely and effectively disseminated to key partner organizations in a timely manner;
- Collect information on new publications, events related to Migration issues in the country and region and inform staff members in timely manner;
- Collect/draft/edit article contributions for IOM Press Briefing notes, “Migration” publication and other key publications on international migration etc;
- Contribute to IOM visibility and public information needs and activities, including web and graphic development
- Support IOM programmes with information campaigns and public information needs
- Provide media guidance and training for IOM staff members;
- Participate in the development of a strategy and guidelines for media engagement by the office, and for individual staff members in close coordination with the RO and Geneva.
- Organize and coordinate press conferences, journalist interviews, media campaigns, book launches etc.;
- Participate in key events and conferences as needed in order to advise and assist with media and communication outreach;
- Draft op‐ed contributions, press‐releases and disseminate to media;
- Develop concepts and manage production of promotional materials;
- Liaise with Media and Public Information team in Geneva;
- Respond to other media and communication related requests as needed.
Education and Experience
- A Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in a relevant field
‐ 2 Years of relevant work experience in Communication, Journalism, or International Relations/Development
‐ Experience working for an international organization (such as the UN), preferred;
‐ Excellent writing and communication skills, including demonstrated ability to meet deadlines and to write clearly and accurately;
‐ Diplomatic, eloquent, composed, and coherent presentation in verbal and written public communication.
‐ Strong analytical skills;
‐ Excellent command of the English language,
‐ Professional familiarity with key issues in the Southern African region is an asset;
‐ Proven ability to deploy strong diplomatic skills and good interpersonal skills;
‐ Strong network of media contacts;
‐ Familiarity with information and communication technologies, particularly with regards to database creation/maintenance and basic web‐design/ maintenance
If you are qualified for this position please email the following to email@example.com under the reference VNSA2016/07 in the subject line of your email:
a. Cover letter motivating your application
b. Detailed CV
c. Copy of ID
d. IOM personnel history form which you will find on http://southafrica.iom.int in the vacancies section.
Please click on link for more vacancy information ToR National Project Support Officer (Media and Comms) NoA.pdf