The International Organization for Migration (IOM) is a dynamic and growing intergovernmental organization, with over 162 member states. IOM works to help ensure the
orderly and humane management of migration, to promote international cooperation on migration issues, to assist in the search for practical solutions to migration problems, and to provide humanitarian assistance to migrants in need, including refugees and internally displaced people. IOM addresses the migratory phenomenon from an integral and holistic perspective, including links to development, in order to maximize its benefits and minimize its negative effects.
Under the supervision of the Media and Communications Officer in South Africa, the Media and Communications Assistant will assist the Media and Communication Officer in Pretoria with the implementation of IOM South Africa Media and Communication Strategy.
Duties and Responsibilities
The incumbent shall perform the following essential functions:
For Internal & External Communication Strategy
1. Draft and edit key external information materials, including IOM programme bulletins, brochures and quarterly newsletters;
2. Draft articles on IOM activities in South Africa and Migrant stories (feature stories, photo stories and Press notes).
3. Support website and Social Media Management: prepare new material and update Daily and Weekly content for IOM South Africa Website and Social Media platforms.
4. Assist with Media Monitoring and flagging of migration issues reported in the media (online, print and broadcast).
5. Design/establish and regularly maintain a shared activity calendar for internal reference and external information planning;
6. Sorting, production and maintenance of a photo and video gallery with content from IOM projects in South Africa and Migration and Health activities in Southern Africa.
7. Assist with production and dissemination of IOM publications
8. Develop and Maintain an electronic resource centre for IOM Pretoria
9. Participate in key events and conferences as needed in order to assist with logistics
10. Respond to other media and communication related requests as needed
11. Assist with development and implementation of information campaigns for IOM programmes
12. Establish an IOM database (Media and Stakeholders) for information and media dissemination
13. Attend UN Communications Group meetings and participate in joint activities as required.
14. Performs any other duties, which may be assigned from time to time
Education and Experience
- High school Degree/Certificate and five years of experience or Bachelor’s degree/Equivalent or Higher and three years of experience in running campaigns and writing stories or articles on social issues. Experience as a journalist an asset.
- Knowledge on ethical standards in reporting on issues related to migration.
- Knowledge about the latest achievements in behavior change communications.
- Knowledge of the basics about IOM and migration issues.
- Ability to visualize ideas and concepts clearly and concisely.
- Ability to work under pressure and to follow suggestions and constructive recommendations and to deliver results.
- Sense of initiative and capacity for independent judgment and organization.
- Excellent communication skills for the purposes of possible collaboration with various partners and stakeholders
- Good Organizational Skills
- Writing and editing articles, newsletters, etc.
- Conducting interviews
- Writing for web
- Filming and editing
- Be comfortable with video equipment and editing software
- Be comfortable with voice recording and radio equipment
If you are qualified for this position please email the following to email@example.com under the reference VNSA2016/06 in the subject line of your email:
a. Cover letter motivating your application
b. Detailed CV
c. Copy of ID
d. IOM personnel history form which you will find on http://southafrica.iom.int in the vacancies section.
Please click on link for more vacancy information ToR Media Communications Assistant G5.pdf
Please click on link to access the personnel history form PERSONAL HISTORY FORM.pdf