I. Position Information
Duration of assignment
Employee, G2 (UN Salary Scale for G staff)
6 months with possibility of extension
Position rated ¨
Subject to rotation
Logistics & Transportation.
Reporting directly to
Overall supervision by
Head of Office
Directly reporting staff
II. Organizational Context and Scope
The International Organization for Migration (IOM) is a dynamic and growing inter-governmental organization, with 162 member states, committed to the principle that humane and orderly migration benefits migrants and society. Established in 1951 and now active in over 440 field locations worldwide, IOM works with partners, government and civil society to:
- Assist in meeting the operational challenges of migration and mobility
- Advance understanding of migration issues
- Encourage social and economic development through migration; and
- Uphold the human dignity and well-being of migrants and mobile populations
The International Organization for Migration (IOM) has recently established a mission in Botswana.
III. Responsibilities and Accountabilities
Under the overall supervision of the Head of Office and under the direct supervision of the Finance/Administration Assistant the incumbent will carry out the following duties and responsibilities:
- Drive IOM vehicles and execute tasks as assigned by the supervisor.
- Follow the rules and regulations of driving IOM vehicles at all times.
- Ensure the safety and security of vehicle, staff and cargo, ensuring that road discipline and traffic rules are observed.
- Manage the day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicle to ensure roadworthiness before departure. This includes daily check of tyres, brakes, engine oil, fan belt, etc. Ensure cleanliness of vehicles at all times.
- Fill in the inspection sheet of vehicle status and share with the supervisor. Report promptly any defects or malfunctioning of the vehicle that requires immediate attention.
- Ensure that incase of any accident, supervisors and UNDSS are informed and a police report is obtained. In no case should the driver accept responsibility.
- Maintain the vehicle road log sheet including the fuel status and oil changing at all times.
- Collect mail and deliver various documents as planned by the supervisor
- Maintaining a checklist of spares, jack, toolbox to ensure care and accountability.
- Ensuring that the keys are returned to the safe at the end of the day.
- Keeping track of service, insurance and registration dates and alerting the supervisor well in advance.
- Making weekly reports on vehicle status to be shared with the supervisor.
- Take the vehicle to pre-identified maintenance workshops and follow up on maintenance performed and make sure vehicle is repaired to standard and without any delay.
- Keep proper records on consumables used and maintenance performed for each vehicle.
- Makes sure all vehicles are having the appropriate equipment and tools by Botswana Law, and by MOSS.
- Assist in organizing meetings & workshops
- Assists with procurement of items for the IOM Botswana office and in accordance to the IOM procurement policies
- Assist with logistics for medical missions & cultural orientation
- Assist with departure formalities for departing refugees
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following technical and behavioural competencies
- Accepts and gives constructive criticism
- Follows all relevant procedures, processes, and policies
- Meets deadline, cost, and quality requirements for outputs
- Monitors own work to correct errors
- Takes responsibility for meeting commitments and for any shortcomings
- Identifies the immediate and peripheral clients of own work
- Contributes to colleagues' learning
- Demonstrates interest in improving relevant skills
- Actively shares relevant information
- Writes clearly and effectively, adapting wording and style to the intended audience
- Listens effectively and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
- Provides constructive feedback to colleagues
- Masters subject matter related to responsibilities
- Identifies issues, opportunities, and risks central to responsibilities
- Incorporates gender-related needs, perspectives, and concerns, and
- promotes equal gender participation
- Persistent, calm, and polite in the face of challenges and stress
- Treats all colleagues with respect and dignity
- Works effectively with people from different cultures by adapting to relevant cultural contexts
- Knowledgeable about and promotes IOM core mandate and migration solutions
- Actively contributes to an effective, collegial, and agreeable team environment
- Contributes to, and follows team objectives
- Gives credit where credit is due
- Seeks input and feedback from others
- Actively supports and implements final group decisions
- Effectively applies specialized knowledge of logistics and procurement to timely source goods and services
- Drives IOM vehicles in a safe manner consistent with local regulations
- Basic knowledge of vehicle maintenance and repairs
V. Education and Experience
- Completion of High School education/diploma
- At least two years continuous driving experience, preferably with an international organisation
- Valid Driving License (class B).
- Basic knowledge of computers especially on Microsoft office such as word, excel and outlook is required.
- Strong interpersonal and intercultural skills.
- Flexibility in terms of working hours.
Fluent in both written & spoken
method of application:
under the REFERENCE: VNBW2017/02 in the subject line of your email:
- Detailed CV
- Copy of ID
- Personnel History form which you will find on http://southafrica.iom.int in the VACANCIES section
Kindly quote the REFERENCE- Vnbw2017/02 in the subject line of your application.
Please send your CV’s by 11 August 2017.
IOM encourages applications from qualified female applicants.
Enquiries in respect to the job description and application may be directed to the same email address.