The International Organization for Migration (IOM) is a dynamic and growing intergovernmental organization, with 162 member states. IOM works to help ensure the orderly and humane management of migration, to promote international cooperation on migration issues, to assist in the search for practical solutions to migration problems, and to provide humanitarian assistance to migrants in need, including refugees and internally displaced people. IOM addresses the migratory phenomenon from an integral and holistic perspective,including links to development, in order to maximize its benefits and minimize its negative effects.
Responsibilities and Accountabilities
The intern will primarily assist the Migration Health M&E/ Strategic Information Officer in processing and managing regular project monitoring and evaluation data from different implementing partners into a central database. The internship provides an opportunity for the intern to develop skills in qualitative and quantitative research skills; including tool development, data management; data analysis and report writing.
The Research intern’s specific functions will include, but not limited to:
- Organizing Ripfumelo project monitoring, evaluation and research data into a central database;
- Contribute to M&E and research tool development
- Enter data, run queries and do quality check of regular M&E data and research data;
- Assist in data management in preparation for analysis
- Assist in data analysis
- Generate tables and graphs;
- Assist in developing research abstracts
- Assist in writing research reports
- Any other duties as required.
Education and Experience
- Must be enrolled/finishing Honours/Masters university student in the field of Demography, Epidemiology, Public Health or Statistics
- Excellent oral and written English Skills;
- Very good knowledge of statistical concepts;
- Proficiency with MS Word, excel, access
- Proficiency with statistical packages (SPSS, Stata, Epi‐Info)
- Demonstrate ability to meet deadlines and to write clearly;
- Proficiency with data management, quality assurance and database or spreadsheet maintenance;
- Strong analytical skills;
- Good interpersonal skills;
- Ability to work in a multi‐cultural environment; and
- Ability to deliver results under tight deadlines.
Method of Application
If you are qualified for this Internship position please email the following to firstname.lastname@example.org under the REFERENCE: IVNSA2016/01 in the subject line of your email:
a. Cover letter motivating your application
b. Detailed CV
c. Copy of ID
d. IOM application for internship form which you will find on HTTP://SOUTHAFRICA.IOM.INT in the vacancies section
Kindly quote the REFERENCE‐ IVNSA2016/01 in the subject line of your application. We will not be able to track your applications without the reference code provided.
Incomplete applications will be rejected. Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.
For more vacancy details please click on link: IVNSA2016-01 Research Intern- Ripfumelo.pdf
Click on link for internship and application form: Internship Application form and Information Form.pdf