The International Organization for Migration (IOM) is a dynamic and growing inter-governmental organization, with more than 166 Member States. IOM is committed to the principle that “humane and orderly migration benefits migrants and society”. Established in 1951 and now active in over 440 field locations worldwide, IOM works with partners, government and civil society to promote international cooperation to address operational challenges of migration and mobility, assist in the search for practical solutions to migration problems, and to provide humanitarian assistance to migrants in need, including refugees and internally displaced people.
The Internship Programme targets young, talented students and graduates willing to gain practical experience in a field relevant to the Organization through their involvement in daily working activities in migration-related areas and/or in public international administration.
Under the overall supervision of the Regional Director (RD), the direct supervision of the Research Officer heading the Regional Migration Data Hub for Southern Africa (RMDHub) and in close coordination with the Migration Research Division at IOM Headquarters, the incumbent will assist in data and knowledge production and analysis activities undertaken by IOM’s Regional Office for Southern Africa.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1. Assist with the management of the projects “Strengthening of Migration Data Collection and Analysis in Botswana, South Africa, Lesotho, Malawi and Zimbabwe,” including with design of data harmonization guidelines and the organization of capacity-building activities on migration data collection and analysis.
2. Assist IOM Regional and Country Offices in the organization of national “whole-of-society” consultations, gathering National Statistical Offices, government actors, civil society, academia and partners, and aimed at assessing migration data collection, storage, analysis and dissemination capacities across Southern African.
3. Assist with the development of content for the Regional Migration Data Hub for Southern Africa (RMDHub), including datasets on international migration, infographics, data visualizations, and other thematic contents.
4. Assist in the development of an integrated methodology for data collection and analysis as needed by programs in the missions, support with new research and surveys of the RMDHub.
5. Assist in conducting data analysis and produce statistical reports on a timely basis commensurate to the needs of the IOM missions in the region and the Regional Office.
6. Assist in the interpretation of statistical findings for research reports, briefing notes, policy papers and other materials as required for IOM publications.
7. Assist in the elaboration of information about displacement, population mobility, and movement flows from IOM missions in the region collected through IOM Displacement Tracking Monitoring as well as any other external source of data and assist in the production of regional reports and information products on human mobility in the region such as analytical and statistical reports, displacement profiles and maps.
8. Assist in developing an outreach strategy to win potential contributors and build a community of researchers, academics, policymakers, practitioners and other interested parties working on migration issues in the Region.
9. Assist in conducting background research and assist in drafting of documents in support of the Regional Consultative Process in the region.
10. Follow and report on UN and other stakeholder technical working groups related to statistical methodologies for data collection and representation.
11. Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required qualifications and Experience
- • Master’s degree in Statistics, Demography, or related field of study from an accredited academic institution with no years of experience or
- • University degree in the above fields with two years of relevant professional experience.
- • Experience in research, in particular quantitative methods;
- • Excellent data analysis and drafting skills;
- • Experience producing visibility materials, publications, reports and other documents;
- • Good experience in analyzing and interpreting research findings towards operationalization;
- • Good knowledge of migration issues;
- • Experience working with statistical software, such as Statistical Package for the Social Science (SPSS) or STATA software, knowledge of GIS relevant programming and databases is a distinct advantage.
Fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of French or Portuguese is an advantage.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following competencies:
- • Inclusion and respect for diversity: Shows respect and sensitivity towards gender, culture, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, political conviction and other differences
- • Integrity and transparency: Upholds and promotes the Standards of Conduct and Unified Staff Regulations and Rules
- • Professionalism: Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter and willingness to improve knowledge and skills
- • Teamwork: Establishes strong relationships with colleagues and partners; relates well to people at all levels.
- • Delivering results: Produces quality results and provides quality services to clients.
- • Managing and sharing knowledge: Shares knowledge and learning willingly, and proactively seeks to learn from the experiences of others.
- • Accountability: Operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules.
- • Communication: Listens carefully and genuinely to the views and positions of others; acts on received information
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment. South African nationals and applicants with valid residence and work/study permit to work as intern are eligible to apply.
Method of application:
If you are interested in the internship programme and meet the minimum requirements, please send your letter of motivation, up-to-date Resume/CV, copy of ID and other credential documents to email@example.com
When you send your application through email, please ensure to specify “Intern - Migration Data Analyst” on the subject line of your email. Incomplete applications will be rejected.
Please send your applications by 15 October 2019. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.